The advantages for the employer are:
- It has been found in studies in the Netherlands, that employees who cycle to work enjoy better health than those who commute by car or public transport.
- It improves the green image of the company.
- It is cheaper than a company car, but at the same time it makes for a cool image, especially these days where employees who live in city centres have difficulty parking cars.
- There is less need to provide car parking which can be expensive to provide and maintain.
- In cities a bicycle is fast, if not faster than a car up to about 5km, because there is no need to find a parking slot at the end of the journey which cuts down wasted time.
Over 400 German companies some of which are blue chip companies offer their employees subsidised bicycles:
- DHL, logistics
- Bayer, chemical industry
- Deutsche Telekom
- Allianz, insurance
- Weleda, a multinational company that produces both beauty products and naturopathic medicines. Both branches design their products based on anthroposophic principles.
- LBS, building society
In addition many local utilities, town councils and tradesmen take advantage of the schemes.